IB LEARNER PROFILE
In order to integrate the International Baccalaureate Framework with our instruction at Peirce, we will be using the International Baccalaureate Learner Profile to teach important character-building attributes to our students. The IB Learner Profile is meant to be integrated into all areas of study with an emphasis on shaping globally-minded citizens.
- Caring learners show empathy, compassion and respect towards the needs and feelings of others.
- Caring learners have a personal commitment to service, and act to make a positive difference to the lives of others and to the environment.
- Inquirers develop their natural curiosity.
- Inquirers acquire the skills necessary to conduct inquiry and research and show independence in learning.
- Inquirers actively enjoy learning and this love of learning will be sustained throughout their lives.
- Knowledgeable learners explore concepts, ideas and issues with local and global significance.
- Knowledgeable learners acquire in-depth knowledge and develop understanding across a broad and balanced range of disciplines.
- Thinkers exercise initiative in applying thinking skills critically and creatively to recognize and approach complex problems.
- Thinkers make reasoned, ethical decisions
- Communicators understand and express ideas and information confidently and creatively in more than one language and in a variety of modes of communication.
- Communicators work effectively and willingly in collaboration with others.
- Principled learners act with integrity and honesty, with a strong sense of fairness, justice and respect for the dignity of the individual, groups and communities.
- Principled learners take responsibility for their own actions and the consequences that accompany them.
- Open-minded learners understand and appreciate their own cultures and personal histories, and are open to the perspectives, values and traditions of other individuals and communities.
- Open-mined learners are accustomed to seeking and evaluating a range of points of view, and are willing to grow from the experience.
- Risk takers approach unfamiliar situations and uncertainty with courage and forethought, and have the independence of spirit to explore new roles, ideas and strategies.
- Risk-takers are brave and articulate in defending their beliefs.
- Balanced learners understand the importance of intellectual, physical and emotional balance to achieve personal well-being for themselves and others.
- Balanced learners recognize their interdependence with other people and with the world in which they live.
- Reflective learners give thoughtful consideration to their own learning and experience.
- Reflective learners are able to assess and understand their strengths and limitations in order to support their learning and personal development